Vegan Banana Bread Recipe
We ‘bumped into’ Rachel over on Instagram, having seen her photos of yummy Vegan Banana Bread we asked her for the recipe and here it is!
“Banana Bread is one my favourite breakfast and snack foods. For everyone interested in vegan baking this recipe is a great place to start; it’s simple to make and tastes just like traditional banana bread! It makes one medium-sized loaf which should keep for around 4 days in an air-tight container (if you haven’t eaten it all by then!).”
VEGAN BANANA BREAD
• 2 cups organic wholemeal flour
• 1 cup coconut sugar (if you do not have this ingredient, brown sugar would work just as well)
• ½ cup desiccated coconut
• 1 tsp baking powder
• ½ tsp baking soda
• ½ tsp salt
• 1 chia egg*
• 3 ripe Fairtrade bananas, mashed
• ½ cup almond milk
• ¼ cup organic olive oil
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
*To make a chia egg, combine 1 tbsp milled chia seeds to 3 tbsp water. Leave the mixture for around 5 minutes to ‘set’ and you should end up with a sticky mixture, with a similar texture to a raw egg.
• Heat oven to 180C (or 350F) and grease a loaf tin with coconut oil
• Combine the chia egg, mashed bananas, olive oil, almond milk and vanilla essence in a large bowl
• Add in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and coconut sugar to the mixture. I recommend pre-mixing these first in a separate bowl so these are well combined.
• Add in the desiccated coconut and stir until just combined
• Pour the mixture into your loaf tin and add an extra sprinkle of desiccated coconut to the top
• Bake for 50 minutes (or until a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean)
• Remove from the oven and leave to cool!
You can connect with Rachel on Instagram at @perfectlyrachel for more food inspiration.